Thursday, November 6, 2008

Economic Cooking

I've been trying to think of ways to save money but still cook yummy food, so my latest idea has been to make my own pre-prepared burritos or veggie wraps. Make 10 to 20 at a time with any variety of fillings, store in the freezer, and they're ready to go whenever you don't feel like cooking or are tempted to eat out. Also, none of your ingredients will be wasted from sitting in the fridge for too long before you have time to cook them. I find it more of a challenge during the winter to come home and cook up a meal in the cold and dark.

Mix #1
(I made two mixes this time. )
This one is roasted poblano peppers (roast in toaster oven), lightly boiled sweet potatoes, beans, mushroom, toasted pine nuts, almost a whole bunch of fresh cilantro, spices (chili powder, oregano, salt...). Then I added goat cheese as I rolled each burrito.
Mix #2
Lightly boiled potatoes, fresh zucchini, beans, spinach (wilted by the hot potatoes), paprika, black pepper, salt. I added slices of cheddar cheese to this one.
My store of toasted pine nuts, and some slices of cheddar waiting to be used...
I acquired these tortillas from a friend. They are on the smaller size, and therefore harder to work with but I made do. Can't turn down a freebie! I recommend big, soft, thin whole wheat ones.
Mix #1 topped with some goat cheese!
These ones are ready for the freezer or...
...to be made into enchiladas of sorts! Just add tomato sauce and some extra cheese of your choice.
Fresh out the 350˚F oven. Yummy!

1 comment:

Pamelekh Klezmer Orkester said...

Hi Sara. Great idea. Think I'll try something like it. --E