Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Chocolate-Orange Cake With Kumquats

For a recent morris dancer birthday I made a very dense chocolate-orange cake, using coconut flour and cocoa powder instead of wheat (therefore making it wheat and gluten-free!), adding both orange juice and zest for extra flavor. The icing is the 7-minute orange icing from the Joy of Cooking, though mine is an older edition from either the 50s or 60s (?). I decorated the cake with kumquats that I had left over from another friend's birthday (see below post) when I made ginger-kumquat agave syrup (see recipe below, I might post the cake eventually too, if I can remember what I did!).




Ginger-Kumquat Agave Syrup (Cake to come!)


Peel a nice a chunk of ginger (my mom says 3 oz., but I don't measure such things) and chop into a few pieces.

Blend in a (high-powered!) blender (such as a Vitamix) with agave syrup (1 cup, or more...) and some halved and pitted kumquats until completely smooth. Don't strain the mixture, or you'll loose a lot of nutrients. Just keep on blending for awhile until it's smooth.

Bring to a low boil on the stove to kill off any microorganisms present.
Cool. Can be stored at room temperature at least without the kumquats, but I've been refrigerating it with.

To mix with seltzer, add 1 tsp+ to taste with a small amount of seltzer. Mix well, and then add more seltzer after mixing for best results.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! How very mouth-watering.

Anonymous said...

I agree. Delicious. And of course I'm gratified to find you there when I check! :)

Gail