Friday, June 6, 2008

Florida Vacation

Well, I am practically computerless (as my great uncle's computer is of the prehistoric age when it comes to speed) and I have no means to upload all my vacation photos, but here's a brief synopsis of what I've been up to in Florida with my mom:

Now with photo updates, 6/11/08

Day 1:
Easy flight, arrive in Orlando. Go to Whole Foods to retrieve potentially edible Florida food only to discover the store has been closed down. Seek mediocre alternative options, met with some success. Eventually make it down to my great aunt and uncle's house by early evening just in time for a swim at pool #3.

Day 2:
Find better health food store. Lacking kale an other decent produce but otherwise some good finds. Find second health food store that makes yummy smoothies with FRESH coconut! More swimming at pool #3.

Pontoon ride and bird watching tour on the Indian River near the Sebastian Inlet led by the Environmental Center. Lovely and informative ride around Pelican Island. More swimming, only this time at pool #1 which we have all to ourselves.

Day 3:

Drive down to Winter Park and surrounding area to visit my mom's old friends, including her high school biology teacher. We all go to the The Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art to see the stained glass work of Louis Comfort Tiffany (son of "Tiffany's"). Facinating pieces, but I'm surprised to discover I almost prefer his work as a painter. Additional suprises include an Alfonse Mucha lithograph called La Plume and Maxfield Parrish's The Dinky Bird painting.



Day 4:
Get up early to go kyacking on the Indian River, again via the Environmental Center. Paddle about 5mi. in three hours with a trip around an island filled with hundreds of birds and their nests. The sounds coming from the island are unbelievable. Mom overcomes fear of kyacks and we both experience the wildlife viewing highlight of our lives by paddling within 15 feet of multiple white ibis nests, filled with baby birds.


Botanical Gardens. Lots of waterlilies, bamboo, spanish moss, palm trees, etc...



Bike ride. More swimming. Tomorrow hopefully brings my favorite.....: The Beach.

No comments: